March 12, 2013 Rathdowney Provides Update On Project In Poland
Excellent metallurgical results from Project Olza
March 12, 2013, Vancouver, BC -- Rathdowney Resources Ltd. ("Rathdowney" or the "Company") (TSXV: RTH) announces that a preliminary metallurgical test program on mineralization from its Project Olza, located 70 km north west of Krakow in Southern Poland has returned excellent metallurgical results. Rathdowney's Project Olza hosts Mississippi Valley Type (MVT) Zinc-Lead deposits in Poland's historic Silesian mining district where zinc-lead mining has taken place since the 12th century.
The preliminary test program was initiated at SGS Mineral Services UK Ltd's test laboratory near Truro, Cornwall, UK under the direction of Melis Engineering Ltd. A bulk composite was prepared from the core of 25 holes from Rathdowney's drilling at Olza. These holes represent the Olza mineralization styles in proportion to their relative abundance in the documented resource area. Sulphides present include sphalerite, galena and marcasite.
An initial estimate of the mineral resources in one portion of the MVT deposit at Olza was announced in September 2012. The inferred mineral resources are 21.2 Mt of 7.42% Zn+Pb at a 2.0% zinc cutoff1. The average head grade of the overall test composite was 6.1% Zn and 1.4% Pb for a combined head grade of 7.5% Zn+Pb with 20 g Ag/t. The zinc and lead content of the test composite are comparable to the September 2012 mineral resource.
The preliminary test program has returned the following highlights on the overall composite tested:
The Olza mineralization is relatively soft: the ball mill Bond Work Index is 10.6 kWh/t.
Using standard zinc and lead flotation conditions without any upgrading ahead of flotation the following excellent results were achieved in initial rougher and cleaner flotation tests:
Zinc recoveries of greater than 90% to a zinc concentrate assaying 55% to 60% Zn and containing 170 g Ag/t. Also, the zinc concentrate is expected to be very low in iron, less than 1% Fe, which provides some flexibility for future process design.
Lead recoveries of 90% to a lead concentrate assaying 65% to 70% Pb and containing 50 g Ag/t.
Approximately 85% of the silver is recovered in the zinc concentrate and approximately 5% in the lead concentrate.
"We are delighted with these very positive results from this first phase of metallurgical testwork for Project Olza," said President and CEO John Barry. "Historically zinc and lead recoveries and concentrate grades from deposits within the Silesian District have been excellent but this initial testing has exceeded even these expectations. This testing also indicates we could generate additional revenue from the silver in the Olza deposit."
Testwork is continuing to further optimize flotation conditions and to prepare concentrate and tailings for more detailed analysis.
As key established mine operations are set to be taken offline over the medium term and zinc demand continues to grow, zinc concentrate supply deficits are looming. With its excellent location and geological potential, Rathdowney presents a compelling investment opportunity among a small peer-group of zinc-focused juniors.
Rathdowney Resources Ltd. is a mineral exploration company focused on finding and developing the next generation of zinc-lead-silver deposits in the ore fields of Poland and Ireland. Rathdowney is associated with Hunter Dickinson Inc. ("HDI") a diversified, global mine development company with a 25-year history of mineral development success. From its head office in Vancouver, Canada, HDI applies its unique strengths and capabilities to acquire, develop, operate and monetize mineral properties that provide consistently superior returns to shareholders.
The metallurgical technical information in this release has been reviewed by Lawrence Melis, P.Eng, a Qualified Person as defined by NI 43-101.
For further details on the Company and its projects, please visit www.rathdowneyresources.com or contact Investor Services at (604) 684-6365 or within North America at 1-800-667-2114.
President & CEO
1Individual grades are 5.88% zinc and 1.54% lead. For further details see Rathdowney News Release dated September 11, 2012 and the Company's technical report on the resource estimate filed at www.sedar.com.